Monday, October 24, 2016

"So my challenge to everyone this week is to be respectful and show kindness toward everyone no matter what their beliefs are or how they act toward you."

Another week in the books. Getting closer to the new year which is just crazy. Seems like I just got here but also like I've been here forever. It's a weird feeling for sure but I love it out here. I do love waking up and being able to go outside and look at the mountains. It is absolutely gorgeous in the morning and evening. Not nearly as green as back home which I miss but I guess you can't have it all. This week there weren't too many highlights through the first few days. We did get to go to Temple Square with a kid who was just recently baptized so that was super cool. Besides that we really didn't have too many lessons. A lot of the people we have been working with either have gotten baptized and don't need to meet with us anymore or they returned to church. But that means we did a lot of finding new people to teach which is not very much fun but it is very important. 
We were able to contact quite a few referrals. One of them is a super nice lady who is from New York. She has a cool story but we were able to just befriend her and have a nice long discussion about different religions. One thing that I thought she said is so true is how sad it is when people discriminate against other people because of their faith. If there aren't people showing up at your church with signs yelling and screaming at you, why would it be okay for you to do it to other churches? I think what she said is so true. I had never really seen that until I came out here but it is super sad. There is already a lot of hate in this world so don't hate others based on what they believe. That doesn't mean you have to agree with them but at least respect it. Nothing is more discouraging as a missionary then when people are rude and disrespectful towards us. We believe in something so strong we are willing to give up two years of our life to help other people. That's all we are doing. But people still throw disregarding remarks towards us all the time. So my challenge to everyone this week is to be respectful and show kindness toward everyone no matter what their beliefs are or how they act toward you. On Saturday, we got to go to temple square again with a family that we are teaching and it was amazing to see how much they loved it. They are so fun to teach. They have seven kids and they are all so respectful and I just love their family so much. Then we went to a ward party and they showed up and even participated in the super weird square dancing. They're awesome. Then Sunday, Elder Tyler and I got to speak in sacrament meeting at one of the wards we cover. We talked about sharing the gospel through our testimony. I think the best way you can do this is through your actions. Our actions should show us as being followers of Christ at all times, in all things, and in all places. Don't ever be afraid for standing up for what you believe in. I would much rather stand with God and be judged by the world then stand by the world and be judged by God. Just something to think about. I know I say this every week but thank you so much for your constant support for me. It means a lot to me and I need it. Being a missionary is really hard but I love it. Until next week!

Elder Potter
4471 S 5400 W
West Valley City, UT 84120

No comments:

Post a Comment